Saturday, October 27, 2012

5 Reasons I’m Not Upgrading to Windows 8 at This Time

Should you upgrade to Windows 8? The answer? Probably not if you are asking that question right now. Microsoft has made it amazingly tempting with its cheap upgrade offers. Currently, I could upgrade my personal laptop for only $14.99, but I won’t.

It is seldom that I share a single link to a single web site or resource on this blog, at least I haven’t done that lately, but this video from C/NET makes a darn good case to stay away from the Microsoft Windows 8 Upgrade. (Top 5 Reasons Not to Upgrade to Windows 8).

But the special offers from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows 8 make the idea quite tempting. Unfortunately, even though I could upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on the cheap, I won’t and here’s why.
  • My laptop isn’t a touchscreen laptop, and Windows 8’s interface is designed for touchscreens. I have read complaints everywhere on how awkward trying to navigate a touchscreen interface with a mouse and keyboard is, so for now, I’ll save myself the pain. Perhaps you should too. I’m staying with the Windows 7 desktop interface for now.
  • I want to avoid the horror of finding compatible drivers for all the devices on my laptop. I ran the Windows 8 utility to check compatibility, and there were way too many devices with question marks beside them. My laptop is buzzing along nicely thank you. I don’t won’t to spend hours trying to find compatible drivers so that my Bluetooth capability will work, or to keep my DVD burner working. Finding drivers is a nightmare. Even $14.99 isn’t enough motivation to make me spend an entire day trying to find compatible drivers.
  • Honestly, I like my desktop. I like my start button. I like whole Windows 7 interface. Honestly, I could care less about having sleek tiles on my screen. I like my task bar. I like my start button, and I like my ability to just slap folders on my desktop. Switching to something else when I like what I have makes no sense.
  • I don’t want to take time to learn a new operating system. For me to want to learn a new operating system, I need to know there’s going to be some benefit, but from what I’ve read, there isn’t simply enough benefit to force me to spend the time to learn how to operate my laptop again. Faster boot times and the Windows app store aren’t enough motivation to make the switch, and from what I’ve read those are the only other two reasons I can find to make the switch.
  • Finally, my laptop “ain’t broke anyway.” When something is running well, why mess things up? I’m afraid upgrading to Windows 8 will turn my otherwise satisfying desktop experience into a battle of bugs. No thank you. I’ll stay with Windows 7.
After a little research and discussion with other through social media, I am happy as a Windows 7 user. I am also a happy Android user too, so I don’t really need another operating system that maximizes my touchscreen experience. Sorry Microsoft, but you haven’t yet convinced me, even with your cheap upgrade prices.

2 comments:

  1. I must admit I was rather disappointed by the tone of this post given I usually enjoy reading your blog. It was not in relation to your target, Windows 8, but your general sentiment. As an educator and a leader, I think the message feels antithetical to me.

    It seems to me that when something new comes along, it's a leader's responsibility to learn by exercising their curiosity in a hands-on way. You're actually very honest in saying you haven't even tried the product.

    As a point of interest, I downloaded it yesterday afternoon and I did not find it difficult to learn. It's also a more performant OS than Windows 7. Yes, it's designed to take advantage of touch interface but, more importantly I think, it's designed to give a consistent experience across different Windows devices. I rate it above Windows 7 but below chocolate cake.

    I think the last comment you make (paraphrased, "If it ain't broke...") is the one that prompted me to comment. Isn't that a recipe for stagnation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I have responded with my latest blog post because I could not fully reply here. http://the21stcenturyprincipal.blogspot.com/2012/10/more-on-leadership-and-why-im-not.html

      Delete